19 Ways to Celebrate National Random Acts of Kindness Day
Recent events have made it more evident than ever that we should be celebrating National Random Acts of Kindness Day–and not only on one day of the year, but every day! Kindness begins with just one person and you can jumpstart the effort on February 17th, which is National Random Acts of Kindness Day.
National Random Acts of Kindness Day was established by the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation (RAK). Founded in 1995, RAK is a nonprofit dedicated to inspiring everyone to practice and spread kindness. “Ultimately, we’re here for the kind-hearted do-gooders who are looking to spread kindness where they can,” is how the Foundation describes itself.
The goal of National Random Acts of Kindness Day is to highlight the importance of bringing more kindness into the world and our lives. You can get involved by becoming a kindness ambassador, also known RAKtivists (Random Acts of Kindness activist). If you need a little inspiration, read on for some random acts you can perform to help celebrate the RAK holiday and to promote kindness every day of the year.
And if you need some convincing about why practicing kindness is important, watch this video that explains the science behind being kind.
Ideas to Celebrate National Random Acts of Kindness Day
1. Make a pot of soup for a friend or loved one for no reason.
2. Find a Little Free Library and drop off some books.
3. Give the bounty of your garden away!
4. Send “Just Thinking About You” cards for no special reason–other than to let loved ones know that you care.
5. Pick up litter in your neighborhood or town.
6. Offer to buy the coffee of the person in line behind you.
7. Volunteer for an animal shelter.
8. Offer compliments to friends, loved ones, and even strangers.
9. Take in your neighbor’s refuse and recycling bins.
10. Try to smile more. A smile can help improve both your mood as well as a stranger’s.
11. Let someone get in front of you in line.
12. Make a point of holding the door for those behind you.
13. Buy school supplies and donate them to your local public school for those children who may need them.
14. Tip your server really well on your next meal out.
15. Offer to watch your friend’s pet the next time she goes away.
16. Leave inspirational bookmarks in random books at the library.
17. Post positive affirmations on post-it notes and leave them around in public places.
18. Purchase gift cards with small amounts on them and leave them at places like gas pumps with a note of explanation.
19. Volunteer at a local food bank.
Related on EcoSalon
The post 19 Ways to Celebrate National Random Acts of Kindness Day appeared first on EcoSalon.